One of the great club features of CJSC is our bus trips – what better way to go skiing or boarding in New England than when you don’t have to drive yourself. You’ll meet new friends and be able to enjoy the mountain with others at your same level. The lodge is comfy, sleeps 38 in bunk beds, but is definitely Vermont-rustic: you’ll be talking about your ski day over appetizers and leaving your digital life behind. The cost for a bus trip includes private motorcoach transportation with a professional driver to and from our Vermont lodge from Old Bridge, NJ or our northern pickup in Mahwah NJ, and to ski areas. Wine, beer, soda, sandwiches and snacks are provided on the ride up to the lodge (at all other times liquor is buy-your-own – a stop to purchase liquor is made on the way back to the lodge from skiing Saturday). The cost includes breakfast each morning and Saturday dinner. Lunches at the ski areas and dinner on the way home (usually a pizza stop) are NOT included. Each trip is captained by club members who volunteer to plan every aspect of the trip, from home-cooked meals to entertainment Saturday night at the lodge.
Bus trip rates do not include lift tickets; however with 40+ skiers on each trip a group rate or vouchers available to our club lower your cost considerably (average $40 – $58 per ticket). To pay the club for vouchers or lift tickets, we ask that you bring cash with you on a bus trip.
The bus departs promptly at 6:30 p.m. from St. Ambrose church (Old Bridge, NJ) side parking lot on Friday evenings. There is also a pick-up on the Parkway at Mahwah Sheraton Crossroads (please alert the captain if you'll be at this northern pickup). With good weather and normal traffic, arrival at the lodge is a few minutes before midnight.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR A BUS TRIP
The initial sign up for each bus trip is held from 8:00 to 8:30 p.m. about 2 weeks before the trip (see Winter Schedule for exact dates). Sign-ups are on a first-come basis (members have priority), unless space is filled at 8:30 p.m. of that night, in which case a lottery system is used to determine all spaces. Additional sign-ups will be taken if a trip does not fill to capacity before 8:30, or a waiting list will be formed if a lottery is necessary. Consult a current Winter Schedule for sign-up and trip dates. Trip cancellation up to 10 days prior to departure is permitted for refund.
Ski destinations will be determined at the beginning of the season for each trip. Late in the season, we go where the snow is. We try to hit a variety of mountains in a tri-state range. On the first day we head north to such mountains as Sugarbush, Stowe, and as far away as Jay Peak. On the second day, we ski southerly mountains such as Stratton, Okemo, Killington, Pico and Bromley, and occasionally head to N.Y. state.
BUS TRIP SIGNUP ROUTINE
• Sign-ups for bus trips are held 7:00 – 7:30 p.m. before the Wednesday night meeting, approx. 2 weeks prior to each trip.
• Trips are limited to 38 people plus up to six double-bunkers. If more people sign up than the bus/lodge can hold then we go into a defined lottery system.
• Checks only at signup, written out to CJSC. Checks mailed to captains must be received promptly to confirm a spot.
• Indicate Old Bridge or Mahwah pick-up on your signup card. Do NOT change your mind without notifying one of the Captains.
BUS TRIP GUESTS
• Members of NJ Ski Council participating clubs are welcome to attend our bus trips. We are always happy to have friends, coworkers & family along as guests as well. Talk to the trip captains if you have questions about guests.
• Bus Trips will be opened to guests 14 days prior to the trip departure date (signups will be on the guest wait list until trip opens to guests).
• A guest must accompany a CJSC member OR be a current member of a NJ Ski Council participating club; both pay the guest rate listed on the Club’s Winter Schedule.
LIFT TICKET SALES ON BUS TRIPS
• Captains will either have discounted lift ticket vouchers for sale on the bus, or will collect money for a group rate ticket.
• Checks are okay for vouchers presold at trip signup but CASH is needed for vouchers and group sales on the bus. Exact change is appreciated.
• Ask the Captain for details depending on the mountain.
• Always bring your Ski Club Membership Card and a photo ID; many mountains require you show them.
PACKING YOUR EQUIPTMENT
• We strongly recommend that your skis, boards, and poles be in bags made for that purpose. Equipment is piled together under the bus and the bags will help protect your investment. At times, the bus has to drop us off a ways from the base lodge.
PACKING FOR A BUS TRIP
• Pack light for your weekend trip – you’ll be handling your own luggage, and it’s often quite tight in the bays of the bus. Include a set of twin sheets, a pillowcase, a towel and your toiletry items. You’ll only need casual clothes at the lodge.
SHORT PACKING CHECKLIST
Ski or Boarding equip, in a bag
Boots in a bootbag
Ski clothing, helmet, gloves, goggles, etc.
Twin sheets and pillowcase
Toiletry items, medications, sunblock
Your CJSC member card with sticker
Casual clothes for lodge / pajamas
Comfy change of clothes for Sunday
Cash/blank check(s) for lift tickets
Anything for the trip “theme”
Put $2 in your pocket for our “ETA pool”
BUS TRIP PICKUP LOCATIONS
• Old Bridge: St. Ambrose Parish, 96 Throckmorton Lane, Old Bridge, NJ 08857.
Throckmorton is off Route 9 in Old Bridge, south of Route 516. St. Ambrose’s entrance is a one-way in. Arrive at the church by 6:00 – Bus leaves promptly at 6:30. Park on the right side of the church, back corner, on the far edges of the lot out of the way and as close to other cars as possible.
• Mahwah Pick-up: Crossroads Sheraton – Arrive by 7:00. Directions: Garden State Parkway north to exit 163 onto Route 17N. Exit at Crossroads Blvd & Mountainside Ave. (at bottom of hill after the overpass). Go straight to Stop sign, make right, then first left. Then first or second right (look for skiers) and pick up.
Alternate Route: I-287 to Mahwah Exit. Down ramp then straight ahead to stop sign, turn right, go to hotel entrance, go around entry road to 2nd parking lot entrance, turn left into lot and right down the first row.
Open Weekends Prior reservations are required for both Lodge & Club members. You will need to get the lodge combination from the Reservations Chairperson. Directions to the lodge are in the Winter Schedule or on this website.